Saturday, May 16, 2009

Accentuate the Positive

I could be persuaded to do just about anything by a man with an accent.
Okay, not anything, but accents are way up there on the "things my dream man would have" list.
Yesterday my pastor came to visit my mom and I to talk with us before her knee replacement on Monday (major post about that coming tomorrow). He is Scottish and has the most amazing brogue you have ever heard. Ordinary words sounded so much more eloquent and distinguished, and I could have listened to him talk for-ev-er.
His visit also brought this idea to my attention: Europeans seem to have incredibly elevated vocabularies. He used words that are almost never spoken in American diction, and they came so naturally to him you knew he wasn't showing off. He just spoke like that. Being the English major and lover of words that I am, I ate it up and continued to think about it long after his visit ended (obviously).

1 comment:

Rachel Buckley said...

dumb Americans...

two more thoughts: you're cute and I'm sorry your momma is needing surgery--more of an update soon?

maybe that was three thoughts.