Sunday, July 19, 2009

Simple Life

I often wonder, when, years down the road, a montage depicting my generation is made, just what it will contain, what it will show. I was watching a special on famed journalist Walter Cronkite tonight, and I couldn't help but feel that my generation is sorely lacking in "big" news.
Cronkite was a reporter and journalist for CBS for almost twenty years. He covered Kennedy's assassination, the Civil Rights Movement, the Vietnam Conflict, Woodstock, the Beatles, Johnson's death, Sinatra, the Grateful Dead, and the landing on the moon, to name a few. He was there for arguably the biggest events in American history; he watched the world around him change and reported back to the people.
Has my generation had any events that will live on in infamy to the likes of those?
As I sit and try to think of events that rocked the world during my time, I can come up with very few.
9/11
The tearing down of the Berlin Wall
The war in Iraq
Hurricane Katrina
Clinton's Impeachment
Columbine
Princess Diana's death
Tsunami in Asia
The Challenger explosion
Tiananmen Square
Several of these happened before I could even count to ten, so I remember nothing of them. Sadly, many events that popped into my head were celebrity related, and I refuse to think that the biggest events of my generation are the O.J. Simpson murder trial and the death of Michael Jackson. Am I forgetting something huge, or is there anything there to forget??
I guess now you could say,
So, what?
Well, nothing, I guess.
It's just that I watched this special with my mom, and I was jealous at how much she could say she watched firsthand as it happened. Today's generation no longer unifies in front of the television to watch news unfold, and one person's earthshattering event is barely even a blip on someone else's radar.
Y'all have heard me say before that I think it's highly possible that I was born into the wrong generation, and my longing for a simpler, more unified time is further evidence of this. I wish I could turn on the ole black and white and know I was getting the same news as everyone else around the country and the world, but that's just not the way things are, I suppose.

2 comments:

Rachel Buckley said...

you and me both kid.

Courtney McShan said...

ill take the simple days with you spring...just as long as there peanut m&m's and yellow gatorade