Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Family Ties

"Love is stronger than death, even though it can't stop death from happening.  No matter how hard death tries it can't separate people from love.  It can't take away our memories, either.  In the end, life is stronger than death."--Author unknown
Tonight I am lifting up the Perkins family.  Since Spencer's tragic accident ten days ago, they have been forefront in my mind, and tonight is no different.  I am certainly not alone in sending up prayer after prayer for this family, for our entire community--and especially the Heritage Academy family--have been lifting them up together.
I can personally attest to the support, power, love, and strength of the Heritage family.  This group of people has been there for me and my own family time and time again.  After my dad's death; before, during, and after both of my mom's knee replacements and the complications that followed; and, at other times throughout my life--they've always been there.  Through my own highs and lows, successes and failures, they've been there every time.  Without their support and strength, I'm not sure I would have been able to withstand what was happening around me.
Once you're a member of the Heritage family, you're a member forever.  I started kindergarten at Heritage in the fall of 1990, and I've been a member of the Heritage family ever since.  Just because you graduate or move or leave for some reason doesn't mean you have to turn in your key; you're a part of this group forever.  I spent 13 years of my life walking those halls and formed lifelong friendships and connections there.  When I think of coming home to Columbus, the people I'm eager to see and catch up with are people that Heritage brought into my life.  Good or bad, for better or worse, I have a connection to the other members of my Heritage family, and it's a tie that cannot be severed.  Because we're small, we can't help but feel close-knit, and, when one of us is in trouble, we rally together in support.  Tonight the Perkins family needs our love and our support, our strength and our comfort, our thoughts and our prayers.
I know the coming days will be difficult for the Perkins, and I pray the intricacies of our daily life will not distract us from remembering how much they still need us.  Although Spencer was young, he made a huge impact on the people and the world around him, and there now exists an unfillable hole in the lives of many.  In unexpected tragedies such as this one, there is obviously no time to prepare for what is to come, which is, I think, both a blessing and a curse.  A blessing in that every moment of life up to the tragedy is lived fully; a curse in the sheer cruelty of unexpectedness.  Having endured this same type of unexpected tragedy myself, I can imagine some of the pain this family will face in the coming days, and I pray we will stay with them.  Love them, comfort them, and support them through our words, our touch, our presence, and, of course, our prayers.
To Mr. Tim, Mrs. Paula, Sparks, Sophie, and Sawyer:  know that we are with you.  We love and cherish you as if you are members of our own family, for that is really what you are.  You are treasured members of the Heritage Academy family, and we wouldn't be the same without you.  We'll hold you up until you regain your strength, and we'll keep Spencer's memory alive in our hearts.  Keep him alive in yours, too.  Talk about him, laugh about him, cry about him, remember him.  His time on Earth is through, but the impact he made can never be erased.  We love you; we're here for you; we're praying for you.
"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."--Psalm 34:18

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should post a link to this on the Spencer Perkins Prayer Update page for the family to read when they are ready. It is beautifully written, and so true.