Tuesday, March 22, 2011

How Time Flies

I always think it's so weird how one minute you're in one place and, then, you turn around and, before you know what's happened, you're in a totally different place.  (I guess that's sort of what has happened on this blog, huh?  When last I wrote (2 unforgiveable months ago!) things in my life looked one way, and, now, things have shifted slightly.  More about all that another night, though.)  I always get that feeling really strongly when returning home from a trip.  It's just tough for me to process that, say, in the morning I'm in Chicago, but, by nightfall, I'm getting gas in my car at the Shell station a mile from my house.  How could such a transition come about so quickly?  How it happen that I blinked, and the magical became the mundane? I felt that way Sunday when I arrived home from New Orleans, where I had been for Amanda's bachelorette party.  It just didn't seem right when I pulled into my driveway that barely twelve hours before I had been dancing the night away on Bourbon Street.



Anyway, enough philosophizing, yes?
The weekend was great, and I had such a good time celebrating the upcoming wedding of one of my favorite friends.  We spent Saturday walking around the French Quarter and soaking up the culture that belongs solely to The Crescent City.  After a great lunch (shrimp po'boy, of course!) and some sightseeing, we laughed away several hours (and a few hurricanes) at Pat O's piano bar before catching the St. Paddy's Day parade coming through the Quarter.  
After a great afternoon, we headed back to the hotel to don our fabulous (read:  ridiculous) 80s paraphernalia and get ready to take on The Big Easy.  After a long dinner at Cafe Degas, we headed for--where else?--Bourbon Street.  I had so much fun laughing and dancing and people-watching with these fun girls, and our Madonna bride was definitely a hit (which is saying something for a city where everyday could be like Halloween!)! 






I was sad to see the weekend (and my Spring Break) come to an end when we headed home Sunday.  How could you not have a great time in a city where the group, including a pregnant girl, mind you, decked out in only the most hideous trends of the 80s is not even anywhere near the craziest thing you'll see?


In an aside before I close, please allow me to highly recommend a new restaurant I went to in Jackson Friday night--Babalu.  The place was sooooo good!!  Great atmosphere, great design, great, great food!  (I'm all for a restaurant that makes a huge batch of fresh guacamole right at my table.)  If you're in the Jackson area and haven't tried this place out yet, I highly recommend it.
Happy Tuesday!
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you put these photos up! I had a lot of fun with you and will see you soon at the wedding!!

Day said...

You were in jackson?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :) I love babalu! great atmosphere!