Friday, February 26, 2010

You've Got Mail

I love getting mail and packages.  I love sending them, too.  I'm just a big fan of the postal service in general.
Wednesday, Thursday, and today I received stellar packages right on my doorstep, and, even though I knew they were coming, they put big smiles on my face.  
Wednesday, Barnes & Noble delivered these gems to my door:


Do y'all know about these?  I didn't until about a week ago when my mom mentioned them to me.  She had heard someone talking about them and thought they sounded like something I'd like.
She was so right.
These books are full of six-word memoirs people of all ages and backgrounds have written about their lives.  The whole idea stems from Ernest Hemingway's alleged six word story reading "For Sale:  Baby shoes, never worn."  Kind of eerily chilling, huh?  These six-word memoirs will make you laugh, catch your breath, wince, think, and touch your heart.  I love them.  I've already devoured the first book, and I'm itching to dive into another one.  Good find, mom.
Here are a few favorites I've already discovered...
Unrequited love is just another addiction.

Overly romantic soul, born wrong era.

Everyone's crazy except you and me.

May I have the last dance?
I find them to be especially amazing because they can be interpreted differently by everyone, and something that means nothing to you could mean everything to me.  It's unbelievable how much six short words can really say.  If you're wondering, no I haven't written one for myself.  I'm working on it, though I think it might change a little everyday.  What would your six-word memoir say?
Thursday, this little beauty arrived in my mailbox:



This gorgeous piece of jewelry came from the new spring collection of a very talented friend of mine.  I have known Catherine Bozeman Thoms for what seems like forever, as we are from the same home town, went all the way through school together, went to college together, and were even in the same sorority.  She is one of the most talented people I know, and I knew I had to have this unique treasure the moment I saw it.  Check out more of her beautiful jewelry here.  Is her stuff not fabulous??  If you're like me, you'll want to buy every last item.
Finally, today on my doorstep arrived some precious new address labels from my favorite online emporium of all things stationary/invitations/address labels/bookplates, etc.  Seriously, PolkaDotDesign is my obsession; I wish I had occasion to order every invitation they offer.  I am almost out of address labels, so I thought it the perfect time to order these lighthearted returns:


Are these perfect for spring/summer or what??  (Yes, I like that my address labels coordinate with the seasons... leave me be.)
I hope everyone has a great weekend planned.  I know my mailman (a jolly fellow who I have really come to enjoy) has certainly helped get mine off to a great start!!  

No comments: