Saturday, March 6, 2010

I Want to Believe

Lately, I have been dabbling in a little writing of poetry.  It comes upon me in the most unexpected of moments, this desire to dash off a bit of verse, but I've decided to give in to it and see where it takes me.  I hope you'll occasionally indulge me sharing a piece with you.

movies, books, the perfect song--real life inspiration
so they say
not sure if i believe
anymore
am i too old for fairy tales?
my head says yes
but my heart wishes on a star
and hopes the answer's no
reality bites, anyway

unrequited, unreturned, one-sided, "we're better off as friends"--
you can't force something that's not there
no matter whose responsible, it feels the same
standing alone during a slow song at a sixth grade dance
not really bitter, not even sad
resigned. accepting.
perhaps that is worse
am i accepting defeat?  raising the white flag?
not yet

hopeless romantics never give up
it's against our very nature
a fatal flaw?  perhaps.
nightly prayers suffice for now
books, movies, and wedding invitations keep the dream alive
the missing piece is around somewhere
it's just been misplaced
i could find it--hope i will find it--
any day now

No comments: