Monday, April 26, 2010

Paid to Laugh

Do you ever think about your dream job?  The thing you'd do if you could do anything in this world you wanted to do?
I think about mine all the time, which probably doesn't come as a shock to many of you.  If talent, time, opportunity, and money were no barrier, I don't think I'd have any troublesettling down to a job I adore.  I have several that come to mind pretty quickly, actually.
Photographer.
Florist.
Novelist.
Host of a travel show.
Stand-up comic.
Bookshop owner.
Food critic.
Movie critic.
Book critic.
Writer for late night talk show.
Writer for SNL.
Singer on Broadway.
Costume Designer.
However, as wonderful as I think these would all be, there is one that stands out in the forefront as, in my opinion, the world's perfect job.  Here's a few hints:



Roseanne


The Wonder Years


The Office


Murphy Brown


The Mary Tyler Moore Show


All in the Family


Growing Pains


The Facts of Life


Saved by the Bell


The Cosby Show


Will & Grace


The Golden Girls


Seinfeld


Friends

Have some of my all time favorite sitcoms given it away?  So, here's the scoop.  If I could do annnnnnnnyyyything in this world, there's no doubt what I'd do:
Sitcom Actor.  I would probably even settle for sitcom writer, but actor would certainly be my first choice.
Let me explain why.
Top 10 Reasons to be a Sitcom Actor:
10.  If your sitcom is a success (and my dream one would be, of course), you would get paid loads of royalties.
9.  You meet amazing guest stars all the time.
8.  You get to bring laughter and happiness to the entire world weekly and in syndication for years to come.
7.  Even when sitcom families are disfunctional, everybody laughs and things are still funny.
6.  No matter what they are or how big, your problems are almost always totally solved in thirty minutes or less.
5.  You go to work everyday with some of the funniest people you've ever met.
4.  You work with some of the most talented writers in the world, and you get to be real life friends with them.
3.  You can watch your own gag reel and laugh all over again. As funny as gag reels are to the viewers, imagine how funny they are to the people who know how funny it was in the moment. Did that make sense?
2.  Your job would be hilarious.  Every day.  You're being paid to be funny, and the harder you laugh (and make other people laugh) the more you get paid.  Everybody wins.
1.  You get to go to weekly table reads, which look like the most amazingly fun things on the planet.
So, what's your dream job?  If there were no barriers and worlds of opportunity, what would you be doing??  I'm dying to know!

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

A reality TV show host. Or any type of hosting gig for that matter. On Bravo, E!, MTV, or any other entertainment channel that really doesn't matter. Like Chelsea Lately or Guiliana Rancic or hell - I COULD BE RYAN SEACREST. If I could do it for Chi O skit once a year, who says I couldn't do it EVERY DAY.

Thanks for letting me dream for about 45 seconds, Spring. That was awesome.

Day said...

movie critic is my choice. hands-down.