Monday, December 6, 2010

The Big Chill

I was in desperate need of a weekend where I did nothing.  I got zero rest over Thanksgiving break, had a jam-packed week last week and was exhausted by the time I made it to Friday afternoon.  I was invited to an out-of-town wedding and an out-of-town wedding party, but I just couldn't pull myself together to drive to either one.  Is that horrible? 
Yes, I know it is.  I should be ashamed of myself.
But, like I said, I was desperately seeking a weekend filled with nothing but chill time, so I had to seize my opportunity.
Friday afternoon I downloaded this little wonder from one of my favorite groups, and I spent a good amount of time jumping on my bed and dancing around my room.  If you think I'm kidding, well, you can think what you like.


Friday night I vegged out on the couch watching one of my holiday favorites.  Does it really get any better than a movie featuring Tom Hanks in about a zillion parts and a song about hot chocolate, too?  I think not.


Saturday I was able to sleep as late as I wanted to (how amazing is that feeling when you go to sleep and haven't had to set an alarm?!) and piddle around when I woke up.  Early afternoon, I indulged in one of my favorite pasttimes, picking up lunch and heading to the movies.  (Don't judge me for sneaking food into the movies; you know it's ridiculous to pay $3.75 for a small Dr. Pepper, too.)  I saw Love and Other Drugs, which was so-so; I would definitely recommend waiting to rent it if you want to see it.  You can check out my full review if you're interested, though.


Saturday night I went with my mom to see a local production of one of my favorite Christmas stories of all time.  If you haven't ever read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, run out to get it right now.  Young or old, you will laugh and come to love the Herdman's, I feel sure of it!  Several of my mom's students were in the play, and I had such a great time seeing this favorite story brought to life.


Sunday morning mom and I went to church, and I was so thrilled with all of the wonderful Christmas carols we sang throughout the service.  My pastor is doing a wonderful series of sermons on the roots of Christmas (looking at prophetic passages in the old testament that foretold the events of that first Christmas), and it was such a great and continued reminder of the real reason for the season.
Yesterday afternoon, after braving Wal-Mart (which was, of course, already a full-fledged holiday madhouse), I went to see Burlesque, which was full of glittery goodness.  The singing, dancing, costuming, etc., were really awesome, and it was just a lot of fun.  Again, you can check out my full review if you're interested.


I finished off a wonderful weekend by watching Amazing Race (do y'all love this show as much as I do?) followed by Holiday Inn, one of my all-time favorite Christmas classics.  Bing Crosby singing, Fred Astaire dancing, huge musical productions--I was in heaven.  Did you know the song White Christmas actually first appeared in this movie, not the movie White Christmas like most people think?  I'm not sure where I picked up that trivia gem, but it's a good one to have in your back pocket if you're ever involved in an intense game of Trivial Pursuit.  Stash it away, in case you ever need it.


My weekend was just what I needed, and, although I was one thousand percent lazy, I'm kind of glad I spent it this way.  The holidays get sort of out of control sometimes it seems, and before I know it they're over.  I'm glad I took this weekend to slow down, chill out, and soak up a little of the season's magic.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever out loud to Michael while we were dating because he'd never read it and I found that astonishing. He loved even though he won't admit it.

Kathleen said...

I LOVE THE NEW BLACK EYED PEAS CD!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to see them, again, in concert with you, again.
I also love the Polar Express. When I would ask Karen if Santa was real, she would always say, "the answer is in the Polar Express, go read it again dumb dumb." Or at least that's what she told me last year.