Monday, December 13, 2010

If Kids Ruled the World

Y'all may or may not know this, but I don't always jive real well with little children.  I'm not sure how to talk to them; I'm not ever clear on what I'm supposed to be doing; I just don't ever feel entirely comfortable.  I don't say that to be harsh or cruel, for it's more a reflection of one of my own shortcomings than anything else.
There are a few selected children, however, that I really love.  I adore being around them, and I just love them.  Although I hope to one day find comfort in a broader range of kiddos, at the moment, most of these selected children belong to my immediate family. 
Allow me to introduce you to three of my favorites:


Banks, Anne Melton, and Worth, who belong to my cousin Courtney and her husband Thomas.
Banks is four and is the cutest little frat boy-in-training I've ever seen.  Look at that plaid button-down shirt and those corduroy pants, complete with his boots, of course (and that crossed leg, too).  Up until a few weeks ago, he had this perfect "frat boy swoop" hair, but he must have grown tired of those locks 'cause he gave himself a new do.  I, personally, love his new look, and I think he sports it awfully well.  Banks will have you in stitches with the hilarious stuff he says, too (and in the greatest drawl you've ever heard!).
Anne Melton is two and, as you can see, is the ballerina princess our family had been missing.  With a tutu like that (and the shoes, too!), I can't imagine there was any little lady who looked prettier.  Anne Melton is seriously one of the sweetest children I've ever encountered.  With those huge blue eyes and to-die-for dimples, she's gonna be a charmer, for sure!
Worth is seven, and his brain knocks my socks off all the time.  He can read so well it boggles my mind, and he can remember pretty much everything you've ever said around him (which, as you can imagine, forces all of us adults to watch our mouths).  Worth is also such a gentleman, and he has some of the best table manners I've ever seen.  Seriously, the boy behaves better at the table than men boys my own age.
I was able to spend a lot of time with these three over Thanksgiving, and I had such a blast bowling, hanging out, scavenger hunting, eating, and travelling with this crew.  True life:  they kept me laughing for five days.
Rachel, I wish you could corral these three and go for a tea party in the woods or go throw the football on the beach or some other equally fabulous seemingly-fantastic activity of your own creation.  You would love them, they would love you, and the world would get some stunning pictures out of the deal, I'm sure of it.
Wow... I love these munchkins.

No comments: