Sunday, January 11, 2009

And the Award Goes to...

If you missed out on the Golden Globes tonight, fret not... there's loads of observations and opinions coming your way. For the most part, I stay away from celebrity news and gossip, but even I can't ignore awards season. The following is not meant to offend or madden, it's just the things I observed or questioned as I watched the arrivals on the red carpet and the awards show. Feel free to add or contradict anything you think I missed...
Could Eva Mendes be anymore stunning?
Hotel for Dogs star Don Cheadle? Pretty sure he wants to die now.
Ricky Gervais drank a beer onstage during his presenting. How does one get to be that free of the influence of authority?
Why was Johnny Depp so unbelievably awkward and what was up with his hair?
How could this bumbling, blubbering moron beat Meryl Streep and Emma Thompson? She can't even form a sentence.
Has something burrowed in Drew Barrymore's hair? And what's so funny about saying "good evening"?
No Golden Globes (or other awards ceremony, for that matter) is complete without Tom Hanks winning an award for something.
Demi Moore telling daughter Rumer not to hunch: good call.
Is it possible that Tom Hanks was wearing his deceased grandmother's spectacles...?
I love seeing the tables that look totally bored and aren't talking to anyone during the commerical breaks.
Tom Brokaw: I love you, but perhaps you should stick to the news?
Colin Farrell pokes fun at himself about his former cocaine addiction... too close to call.
Maggie Gyllenhaal's stylist deserves a raise; she is great at her job.
I wish I could be friends with Laura Linney, and her gold dress was to-die-for.
What a wonderful thought: looking back on the present state of the Middle East as "an ancient videogame that has nothing to do with their lives whatsoever."
Why does Alec Baldwin look so sour every time the camera's on him? Also, even though no one in the audience laughed at his juice box comment, I laughed out loud on my couch...
Everytime they show Kiefer Sutherland, he's clapping boredly and seems to be scanning the room for anyone he's ever seen before...
Renee Zellweger looks to be having an off night. Which is worse, the hair or the dress?
Paul Giamatti is so cool. Granted, he looks like a whacko, but he seems like he would be so fun to hang out with.
Glenn Close, who picked that pantsuit for you? Whoever it was, you should fire him/her.
Who would have thought that we would have ever seen Jay-Z sitting up smiling in a tux at the Golden Globe Awards?
Christina Applegate's necklace is out-of-this-world gorgeous.
Tina Fey never gets old.
I live for a photo montage, and I teared up during Spielberg's.
Sandra Bullock: apparently only funny with a script.
Colin Farrell wins for In Bruges? Um... what?
Who knew Sasha Baron Cohen was so funny??
Are there any Americans working in the film industry anymore?
Two things I have never heard of: Mickey Rourke and Slumdog Millionaire.
Micky Rourke thanking his dogs: a new all-time low for America.

And finally,
I heart Kate and Leo 4 eva.
From the first time I saw them spitting off the side of the Titanic, I have loved them like they were my own friends, and seeing them together tonight just made me love them even more. (I know how ridiculous that sounds, blah blah blah...) They sat beside each other, she thanked him during her acceptance speech, they are best friends in real life; I love them. I'm not too proud to admit that I got more than a little teary-eyed when she thanked him during her acceptance speech. (If you haven't already seen it, I highly recommend it. She's never looked better, and I would bet money that Leo's eyes get a little teary, as well...)

1 comment:

TheEatons said...

Thanks Springer!! We are so excited-I can't wait to see what this little one is-I have a feeling its another boy which is PERFECT with me :) I hope your doing great!