Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Greatest Show on Earth pt. 1

It is finished.
My Dawson's Creek marathon, that is.
And, no, I don't really think this is the greatest show on earth, but I do like it an awful lot. During this last viewing of the series, I observed many things I'd forgotten and a number of things I'd never seen before. Therefore, in my typical style, I wanted to share these observations with you. There's simply too many for one post, so this will be a double installment. I know you're on the edge of your seat already, right?
Alright, without any further ado... here goes:
--Joey says everything to meatheads and bullies I've ever wanted to say. My favorite Joism: "Sure. Pick me up right after my lobotomy."
--I love how Pacey pokes fun at himself and The Mighty Ducks, talking about how great Emilio Estevez was in "those duck movies."
--I find it hilarious that Dawson goes from not even knowing the bow from the stern to practically usurping Captain Ahab in the course of one short episode.
--This show is so 90s it's horrifying. From the straight-leg jeans to the thick-heeled boots to the chunky sandals to the butterfly clips. It's embarrassing, really. I can say that because my wardrobe was equally embarrassing.
--This show can coin some great catch-phrases. Case in point: "deja-screw."
--Like Dawson, I, too, look for answers to life's questions in the movies. However, I also look to books and, obviously, television shows. It's pretty silly, I know, but it's true.
--Joey can rock a Mexican tuxedo like few I've ever seen.
--I think Grams is just about the coolest grandmother on the planet.
--Arguably the most unrealistic aspect of this entire show is the full-blown, off-the-charts parties the gang goes to, both in high school and college.
--Pacey spitting in Mr. Peterson's face stirred something in me. I've never felt so right about something so obviously wrong.
--I always thought the fifth season was a real snore, but this time I actually loved it.
--Say what you will about the content of the show, but there is absolutely no denying the fact that there are a lot of foxy male specimens appearing throughout the series.
--Jack asking Emma to marry him so she can stay in the country is right up there with Joey wanting to marry Rachel when she got pregnant on Friends. So sweet.
--I find it so ironic that Jen's most gorgeous boyfriend (CJ) comes into her life at the exact same time as her most heinous haircut (the bluntest of all blunt cuts with curtain-like bangs to enhance the glory).
--Sometimes I want to laugh out loud at the constant sentimentality and seriousness of this show; lines like "I don't want to close my eyes..." get me every time.
--When people on this show wake up in the morning, why is it that they never have morning breath or express the need to brush their teeth?
--Any television show that does a take-off on The Breakfast Club is okay in my book.
--The wittiness of Pacey is fabulous. One of my favorite Paceyisms comes when Pacey's father walks in and sees the gang sitting around a table with their books open around them. When he asks what they're doing, Pacey calmly responds that they're "writing a peace treaty."
--No matter how many times I watch the episode where Andie leaves for Italy, I still sob like I've never seen it before.
--Dawson's Creek is something I don't think people feel mediocre about. From my experience and observation, you either love it and wholeheartedly buy into each of its neurotic melodramas, or you see it as utterly embarrassing and a discredit to your generation, if not the entire human race.
--Although I find the "wife-beater" to be an icon of horrific fashion, I think it doesn't look half-bad on Pacey.
--I think Katie Holmes is gorgeous, and she was certainly gorgeous as Joey. Upon further review, however, I think I may have discovered her physical flaw. Dare I say it... cankles?
--I take pride in the fact that Capeside's graduation robes are the exact same shade of royal blue as my own Heritage Academy commencement costume.
--I love Audrey and her viewpoint on life so much.
--Did the producers of this show think Joey had a good singing voice? If not, why did they always have her singing those awkward solos?
--After I saw the episode where Joey got mugged, I was convinced that the same thing was eventually going to happen to me.
--I wonder who would win: David Wilder or Jeremiah Lasky?
--There are so many parallels that exist within this show. There are words, phrases, and ideas that are repeated episodes or even seasons later. They're not hard to catch if you're really paying attention (or if you've seen all the episodes forty times like I have).
--Jonathan Lipnicki as the little boy Pacey mentors is just as cute as he was in Jerry Maguire when he informs us that "the human head weighs eight pounds."
--Jack and Jen have the sweetest, most supportive frienship in the world. Michelle Williams and Kerr Smith have fabulous chemistry.
--I'm continuously fascinated at how often the show pops info my head. I see or hear something and think, "That's just like on Dawson's Creek when..."
--I find it odd that, as much as these characters say what they feel, they so rarely say "I love you."
So there you have it... ramblings, musings, observations, and questions straight from Capeside, Massachusetts. Stay tuned for the exciting completion...

2 comments:

jenna said...

awww! i love dawsons creek too! and i sorta cringed when i read "butterfly clips." yikes. why did we ever think that was a good idea??

Rebecca McKissack said...

lauren, i love this post! how funny... the mexican tuxedo, professor lasky, fear of getting mugged....CANKLES!? love.it.