Monday, February 9, 2009

I Don't Want to Wait

So, I have a confession.
My blogging lately has definitely been less than frequent, and there are two slightly embarrassing words that can completely account for my absence.
Dawson's Creek.
I know, right? It's shameful and juvenile and ridiculous, but it's oh-so-true.
I am a devoted Dawson's fan and have been since the beginning. I own all the seasons; I know all the storylines by heart; I secretly want to visit Wilmington, North Carolina, where the series was filmed. There's no denying it any longer: I'm a huge geek about this.
Ten days ago I felt the urge to start from the beginning watching the whole series, and I have currently made it just a few episodes shy of the end of the fourth season. Almost four entire seasons in ten days is insane, especially when you factor in the time spent at work, in class, or doing schoolwork...
I know what some of you must be thinking; I've heard all the arguments before. Yes, the show is admittedly unrealistic and completely far-fetched; obviously the actors are far above the age they are supposedly playing (I actually discovered today that Meredith Monroe, the actress who played Andie McPhee--who I thought actually looked the most youthful of the cast--was thirty-two-years-old when she roamed the halls of Capeside High. Sheesh.); high school kids don't usually make reference to artists like Cezanne and watch movies in black and white; no one actually speaks with the vocabulary these adolescent characters spout out without a moment's hesitation--words like "agog" and "angst" and "verbiage."
I know all of these things to be true, yet I love it still.
Who cares that Dawson's hairstyle changes more than any other character on the show, yet each one seems to be glaringly more awful than the first? Who cares that the affection these teenagers show each other, even in the friend relationships, is ever-present and ever-unrealistic (you know what I'm talking about: the constant hand holding, kisses on the forehead, full-frontal-lasts-forever hugs, etc., etc., etc...)? Who cares that characters are introduced and then never seen or accounted for again, and sometimes the chronology of events doesn't exactly line up?
I certainly don't.
I don't watch this show for any of these things.
And, however unbelievable it may be, I don't just watch it for Pacey, either. Really.
I watch it because I think the overall message, what this show is all about when you get right down to it, is one that we can all benefit from and one that I know I need to be constantly reminded of. This show is about unconditional love and the people in your life who you know will always be there for you, no matter where you go to college, who you dance with at Homecoming, or how much you push them away. I know it sounds kind of silly, but everytime I watch this show I remember how much the people in my life mean to me.

1 comment:

Rebecca McKissack said...

dawsons creek has always been your favorite! and with all your hard work at school..... why not take a day or 2 off from life?!

im turning into ben....i cant stop thinking about chicago.