Monday, July 19, 2010

Good Night, and Good Luck

Today was moving day. 
Everything was packed into boxes and hauled away in the moving truck... only to be unloaded 25 miles away in my storage unit--home to my belongings for the next year.  In all honesty, I am a mix of emotions leaving my apartment behind.  I know it wasn't much, but it was the first place in this world that was wholly mine, and I am going to miss being there.  I will miss sitting on my back porch and looking at the stars; I will miss sprawling diagonally across my bed with a good book;  I will miss my pictures on the wall; I will miss lounging on the couch storytelling and drinking wine with friends; I will miss decorating for Christmas; I will miss my flowers.  I can do all of these things at my mother's house, of course, but it won't be quite the same.  I will not miss, however, sweating to death in the kitchen and/or bathroom no matter what the time of year or the temperature; I will not miss the overly sensitive smoke alarm; I will not miss a closet the size of a postage stamp. 
Today I laughed to keep from crying, and looked forward instead of glancing back in the rearview mirror.  Just when I think I have everything figured out and compartmentalized perfectly, life, inevitably, changes again.  It's funny like that, isn't it?











In the little taupe room
There was a television
And a few spots of maroon
And a picture of...
Three friends standing under a beautiful moon
And there were teddy bears and black and white chairs
And a number of candles and a pair of sandals
And a cabinet of red and a wrought-iron bed
And a book and a brush and a note from a crush
And a quiet young lady who was whispering "hush"
Goodnight room
Goodnight room
Goodnight friends standing under the moon
Goodnight light and the spots of maroon
Goodnight bears
Goodnight chairs
Goodnight candles and goodnight sandals
Goodnight clocks and goodnight socks
Goodnight cabinet of red and goodnight bed
Goodnight book and goodnight brush
Goodnight nobody
Goodnight crush
And goodnight to the young lady whispering "hush"
Goodnight stars
Goodnight air
Goodnight noises everywhere

1 comment:

Courtney McShan said...

This makes me very sad...would it make you feel better to recreate a frame collage, say on my wall??? Miss you spring. I think you need to come visit me...