Sunday, July 4, 2010

L.O.V.E.

I love America.
I love the people and the places and the things that make up America. 
I am proud to be an American, and today I celebrate everything that makes America the place that it is. 
What's coming next is a list of so many of the things I love to love about America and all that it encompasses.  Some of these things may not in, fact, be exclusively American, but, for me, they make me feel American.  So, on this America's birthday, perhaps you'll allow me to take a few liberties.
So, without further ado, here are:
104 Things I Love to Love about America  
1.  Broadway
2.  Rock & roll
3.  Boardwalks
4.  Converse sneakers
5.  Bandanas
6.  Oreos
7.  Central Park
8.  Country music
9.  The Real World
10.  Brooks Brothers
11.  Sunflowers
12.  Front porch swings
13.  Cheeseburgers
14.  New York City
15.  Gingham
16.  Cutoff jeans
17.  Freedom of the press
18.  Chocolate chip cookies
19.  The Smithsonian
20.  Memphis
21.  MTV
22.  Cowboy boots
23.  Fried chicken
24.  Corn flakes
25.  Fresh produce
26.  Water parks
27.  The Gap
28.  John Steinbeck
29.  Democracy
30.  Soldiers
31.  World War II veterans
32.  Casseroles
33.  United States Postal Service
34.  The Statue of Liberty
35.  Target
36.  Amusement parks
37.  Malls
38.  Louisa Mae Alcott
39.  Yellow taxis
40.  Hershey's
41.  The Boston Pops
42.  American Film Institute
43.  Alexandria, Virginia
44.  Atlanta
45.  Ralph Lauren
46.  Corn dogs
47.  Chicken salad
48.  Sharpies
49.  Christmas traditions
50.  Opportunity
51.  Thanksgiving dinner
52.  Road trips
53.  Nashville
54.  Gas-guzzling SUVs
55.  The Today show
56.  New Orleans
57.  Ritz crackers
58.  Saturday Night Live
59.  Rainbow flip-flops
60.  Route 66
61.  Christmas Vacation
62.  Afternoon talk-shows
63.  Freedom of speech
64.  Cornbread
65.  Meat & potatoes
66.  Jimmy Fallon
67.  Sundresses
68.  Toms shoes
69.  Miller Lite
70.  Lemonade
71.  The Star Spangled Banner
72.  Blue jeans
73.  Father of the Bride
74.  Nighly News with Brian Williams
75.  National parks
76.  Nike
77.  Dr. Pepper
78.  Macaroni & cheese
79.  Judy Garland
80.  Betty White
81.  Crayola
82.  Dallas
83.  Red, white & blue
84.  Seaside, Florida
85.  Brooklyn Bridge
86.  John Mayer
87.  Walt Disney World
88.  Jerry Seinfeld
89.  Breakfast at Tiffany's
90.  Apple pie
91.  Yearbooks
92.  Frank Sinatra
93.  Backyard BBQs
94.  Chicago
95.  Destin, Florida
96.  College football
97.  The Oscars
98.  Uncle Sam
99.  Johnny Cash
100.  Motown
101.  The Gulf Coast
102.  Washington, DC
103.  Elvis
104.  Homemade ice cream
I also found this great column in the latest issue of Reader's Digest (yes, I read Reader's Digest sometimes... yuk it up) that I loved so much I wanted to share it with y'all.  America's Best Town Names:

"I was holed up in Boring, Oregon, wondering whether I should try someplace different.  So I hopped in my car and drove to Why, Arizona, to figure things out.  After a few days I found my answer in Whynot, Mississippi:  I needed a town with some life to it.  I made a beeline for Disco, Tennessee, where I danced so much, I wore out my shoes.  The next day, I headed to Loafers Glory, North Carolina, for a new pair.  Afterward I looked sharp enough to take a break, in Handsome Eddy, New York.  Eddy wasn't around, but I knew where to find him--in Loveladies, New Jersey, where it seemed that all the women were trying to get to Husband, Pennsylvania.  It was a tough town.  One gal told me my romancing needed work and sent me to Sweet Lips, Tennessee.  Heartbroken, I put the car on cruise control and drove to Lonelyville, New York, for a stiff drink.  I made a pit stop in The Bottle, Alabama, and finally hit rock bottom in Condemned Bar, California.  Not surprisingly, I woke up the next morning in Cranky Corner, Louisiana.  I knew that if I continued like this, I'd be headed straight to Hell, Michigan.  Pulling myself together, I grabbed breakfast in Oatmeal, Texas, lunch in Sandwich, Massachusetts, and dessert in Pie Town, New Mexico.  I should've stopped eating after Greasy, Oklahoma, because I was feeling pretty sick by the time I left Lick Skillet, Tennessee.  In Brilliant, Ohio, it finally dawned on me--I had to cease my wandering ways.  I parked in Do Stop, Kentucky, took out the map, and chose my new home.  I didn't need Wealthy, Texas, or Fame, West Virginia.  I found everything I needed in Happyland, Oklahoma."--Andy Simmons, Reader's Digest Humor Editor

With all that and so much more, how could you not fall in love with America every day, over and over again??


Happy Birthday to the U.S. of A... hope you've all had a wonderful holiday!!

No comments: