Monday, July 21, 2008

The Crazy Group

I had the greatest weekend. It is a rare thing for me when Friday, Saturday and Sunday come together in all their glory to create an experience that is drama-free, fun and enjoyable all at the same time, but this weekend I somehow managed to achieve such a feat.
I kicked off this fun-filled forty-eight hours with a trip to Starkville to spend the night with Katie. She will be moving from Starkville in the next two weeks, just about the time I will be making my highly-anticipated return to Oktibbeha county, so we knew there wasn't much time left for us to hang out. We had both been counting down the days until Mamma Mia! opened at the movies, and we planned to have a sushi date then head to the movie Friday night. I've said before that I'm a recent sushi convert, so sometimes I try new things or places and I'm not sure what to order. It's a gamble as to whether I will enjoy (or even remember) what I order, but it's getting better and better every time. Friday night I was not disappointed; given enough time, I WILL become a sushi lover.
After our fabulous dinner (the only drawback being that it took nearly two hours from start to finish...) we headed to the movie theater. Now, Katie and I sometimes like to do what we call a "double feature" where we go to the late movie and then stay for the midnight movie, too. Since we were dying to see not only Mamma Mia!, but The Dark Knight, too, we decided it was the perfect night for one of our infamous doubles. Great, great decision. Seriouly. No sarcasm. Both were amazing. Although the two movies could not have been more different, I loved them both equally as much. Who knew Meryl Streep could sing? Who knew Colin Firth had such skinny legs? Who knew Karen from Mean Girls could actually act? Who knew Heath Ledger could be so creepy? Even though we didn't get home from the movie theater until abot 2:45 in the morning, I loved every minute of it. Heath Ledger deserves to be nominated for an Academy Award... no ifs, ands or buts about it.
Saturday morning I came home and my mom and I went to a send-off reception for Elizabeth Lucas, this year's Lowndes County Junior Miss. She is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen, and I know she'll do great at the state pageant this week. Good luck, Elizabeth!
After the reception, I came home and started getting ready for Betsy's wedding. My mom, who is one of those people who is insanely early for everything, had us at the church almost an hour before it started, and we had to sit on the back row. Needless to say, the church was absolutely packed (no lie... standing room only), and it seemed like there were even more people at the reception. When we got on what I fondly referred to as the "night route" to ride from the Country Club to the reception at Betsy's house, there must have been more than a hundred people in line waiting for a shuttle, and there were more cars and people pouring in from every direction. We had the greatest time at the reception. The food was fabulous. The band, 24 Carat Gold, completely lived up to its name. The group of us there was nothing if not solid. The "people-watching" (which you know is one of my favorite pasttimes wherever I go) was potentially endless. No one even noticed that it was so hot we could have been on the face of the sun. (Okay, maybe we did notice that, but it certainly wasn't bad enough to make anyone want to give up and go home.) We ate; we drank; we danced; we took about nine hundred and twenty-six pictures; we put flowers in our hair; Lindsey threw lavendar in Becca's mouth. A good time truly was had by all.


Sunday morning, hard as it was for me to wake up, my mom and I left Columbus at about seven headed to Jackson for my baby cousin, Anne Melton's, christening. She's just about the cutest, fattest thing you've ever seen, and I don't think she made one sound the whole time we were there. She just stared around with her gigantic blue eyes and took it all in: my kind of baby. The event was even more special because Anne Melton wore the same christening gown that my mom, my cousin, Courtney (Anne Melton's mom), and I had all worn when we were christened. (My mom told anyone who would listen a detailed version of that story; be glad I gave you the abridged version.) It was really great to be able to spend time with my family; I don't get to see them nearly as often as I would like, and I love them more than I could ever describe.
I don't think I've had such a superb weekend in a very long time. Such a variety of activities, but each of them something fun and special for me. From family to college friends, high school friends and back again, each of these groups have such a strong influence and presence in my life, and I love when they can all come together and fit so well.

No comments: