Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Finding My Way

Since I have started working toward moving into my apartment (about which I am a tiny bit excited, if you didn't already know), I have basically turned into Suzy Homemaker2K8. I'm tearing recipes out of magazines; I'm thinking of places I could plant a few flowers to "add a spot of color"; I'm looking up Farmer's Markets in the area; I'm going to antique shops. I'm one step away from donning an apron and sticking an apple pie in the oven.
And do you want to know the funny thing about all of this?? I LOVE it! I am really, really excited about some of the ideas I have. Yes, I'm well aware that I am the biggest dweeb on the face of the planet right now, but what else is new? (I am, in fact, the same person who reads classic novels for my own enjoyment, remember?)
Over the weekend my mom and I went to several antique shops in the area, and I had the greatest time. I found some awesome pieces I'm going to be able to integrate into my apartment, and I got some great ideas of stuff I might be interested in for the future. I even found these awesome silver goblets/cups that I'm going to start collecting. Like I said, I know... dweeb for sure. I am officially the oldest twenty-three-year-old on the planet.
Continuing on in the spirit of oddities in my life, I had my first violin lesson today. In all honesty, it was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. Apparently, I have the stiffest wrists east of the Mississippi, and nub-like fingernails are a prerequisite to achieving success on the violin. Practically the entire hour today was spent trying to loosen up my wrists in order for me to hold it correctly, and once I did get the grip correctly, my fingers slipped off because my damn fingernails were too long. Typical. I refuse to be discouraged, though. I've already cut my fingernails off, and I've practiced in front of my mirror so that I can see (and potentially correct) the rigor-mortis-like grip of my left wrist. At least the lesson was private today; I was expecting it to be a group lesson. Thank God I was spared the humiliation of having to discover my death grip in front of a group of six-year-olds. (Because you know that's about the age of all the other beginner students... Can't wait for the Christmas concert! :) )
In other news, I'm leaving for the beach tomorrow, and I could not be more excited! My mom and I are going for a relaxing week before everything starts to get crazy with both of us heading back to school. A little shopping, a little seafood, a little sunshine, some good books, maybe a Rolling Rock or two... who could ask for more??

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You best bet your bottom dollar that I'm flying down for that Christmas concert. It will be videotaped and filed under "Most Hilarious thing I've ever seen in my life" next to my collection of old lady cookbooks from the 1800's