Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Lazy Days

The last few days have been pretty low-key, with not too much going on. (Which, I suppose, is a good thing based on the ridiculousness that was the weekend.)
Monday my Mom and I went to Brookhaven to see my grandmother, and Lord knows that was a trip. My grandmother is something like 82 years old, and she can ask some of the most absurd questions you've ever heard. On top of that, she can't really remember all of what you answered, and she doesn't hear perfectly, so you're guaranteed to, for one reason or the other, be asked the same question at least six times. But she sure is sweet to me, and I love her a lot. She's also giving me a good deal of furniture for my apartment, so that's not too bad, either.
Apparently, President Bush was in Jackson yesterday (who knew?), and, of course, my mom and I were coming through Jackson just about the time he was heading back to the airport. There were cars everywhere, all over the interstate and highway, and no one really seemed to know exactly what was going on. Only in Mississippi would the President of the United States be visiting and driving around on the roads without the newscasters even giving anyone a heads-up. I'm sure he enjoyed his visit immensely...
Today has been spent combing Columbus establishments for usable antiques and affordable furniture to use in my apartment. It seems, slowly but surely, to actually be coming together, and I'm starting to get really excited. (I still don't actually have my hands on any of the furniture that has been "promised" to me by family, etc., but, due to my incredibly overactive imagination, I'm having no trouble visualizing it in my head. Yes, I am aware that it will undoubtedly look nothing like what I've pictured, but I'm keeping the dream alive.) I'm hoping to get some major stuff taken care of before I leave for the beach next week so that I can look for some accents and accessories while I'm there. Also, this morning I finally finished the book I have been reading for a MONTH (unheard of, I know...), and, I must admit, it was almost worth the time it took to finish. I never would have thought it when I started it, but it had quite the surprise ending. I guess you really can't judge a book by its' cover. I'm starting Lolita now, and I'm very excited; there's nothing I love more than a racy novel disguised as a classic...
Tonight I'm having sushi (yes, I'm officially converted) with Lindsay, and I'm so very excited because we haven't hung out in oh-so-long. I have so much to catch her up on, and I can't wait to hear all about her trip to Italy (of which I am insanely jealous!!). Becca and I have decided that our next trip simply must be international, but who KNOWS how it will take for the two of us to save enough money for an adventure of that magnitude?? And we should probably also allow PLENTY of time to warn ANYONE we might come in contact with of just what they're getting themselves into...

No comments: