Monday, July 7, 2008

Sonic Impact

I went to Sonic today for the first time in at least six months. I ordered mozarella sticks and a Dr. Pepper, which is, for me, the iconic food of summer. Strange, I know. I think that started when I was about sixteen years old, and it was the summer between my sophomore and junior years of high school. Jenna, Cam, Patsy and I spent practically every afternoon of the entire summer at Mama Dear's pool (yes, there were others who made regular appearances, but the three of us might as well have lived there), and the afternoon was not complete until we piled into Patsy's Jeep, put in some "cool" CD (undoubtedly some offensive rap or possibly a sickeningly sweet ode by the boy band of the minute... for some horrifying reason O-Town sticks out in my mind...) and made our pilgrimage to Sonic, all ordering mozarella sticks and our drinks of choice, of course. In my mind that was just a couple of years ago, but in actuality that was SEVEN years ago... how did that happen??

I've included a photo with this post which I dug out of the archives, just so that everyone can get a clear vision of me, circa 2001. (It's okay to laugh... really.) I believe this photo to have been taken in Destin, Florida in June of that summer. My hair was unnaturally (to say the least) blonde, those glasses were not, in fact, mine (I wanted my own glasses SO bad... damn 20/20 vision...) and my eyebrows were, well, practically caterpillars. Thank God for Mandy Farmer is all I've got to say; she knew I wasn't cut out to be Goldilocks in the first place...

1 comment:

Rebecca McKissack said...

do you remember the time at sonic (of course it was like 10 pm prime time for the skanks to be sitting outside at the table) and you had your car in park and stepped on the gas and how mortified we were?!