Thursday, December 10, 2009

The Secret

I love Christmas.  I really do love it.  I love the music and the movies and the decorations.  I love the food and the smells and the cold weather.  I love the spirit and the excitement in the air, and I love the church services and the reason behind it all.  I love the twinkling lights and the wrapping paper and the joy that seems to resonate with people of all ages.  I love the memories of Christmas past and the hope for Christmas future.
I love it all, but I have a secret.
For me, when it comes to Christmas, there's a certain innate loneliness that lies beneath the whole season, making itself known with pangs of melancholy and bittersweetness, rising up when I least expect it.
I wrote this in my journal four years ago, but the same ideas pretty much ring true today.
This is a season that is all about family and loved ones and togetherness.  It is filled with soft lighting, blazing fires, warm drinks, and special memories.  I just wish that this year this season of warmth would not leave me out in the cold again.  I just want to be a part of the group.  The group I speak of is the group that has someone special to share things with and someone to curl up in front of the fire with and someone to stay warm with.  In the summer it's easy to 'barhop' and run from here to there all over the place, but in the winter people generally stay in one place, and I guess I just find myself wishing that my one place could be somewhere filled with real warmth, more warmth than you tend to find in a bar, movie theater, or restaurant.
It's not that I'm depressed or upset or anything, really, but I just wish things were different, I guess.  It's kind of like this:  I've been alone for so long that I have just sort of accepted the fact and tried to make the best of it, but, for some reason, today I started to entertain the idea of actually having someone to share not only special times but all the times with, and it just made me wish that maybe this year I'd get a present that didn't come wrapped under the tree.
What a gooby, melodramatic twenty-year-old I was.
I know some of you may be thinking that I'm not alone, for I've got my friends and my family; and I shouldn't be sad, for this is a happy time.  And you would be completely right.  But you know that's not the kind of alone I'm talking about.  And, as for being sad, it's not an all-the-time thing; it's not even a most-of-the-time thing. 
It comes in moments. 
Moments when I just can't help but wonder what it might be like and envy those who take it for granted.  Little moments that make me catch my breath sometimes:  a sappy commercial; a glimpse of a couple walking hand in hand; the snatch of life seen when passing a lighted window on a winter's night.  These moments are fleeting, but I can't pretend they're not there.
Are there others like me, or am I the anomaly?
It doesn't really matter, for this I believe to be true.
All the moments that make me stop short now will be the moments that mean the most one day.  My feelings now will help me remember how important the little things are and remind me to honor that importance.  I will appreciate 'then' more because of the way I look at 'now.'  
Or, well, at least that is my hope.
God's taking care of it, that I know for sure, just like He does everything else.
Sometimes lots of times I get distracted, but it all comes back to Him.  He is the reason for the season, you know. 

1 comment:

Rachel Buckley said...

I want to leave a comment...because I adore you, but I don't know what to say. Except, sometimes, we all have our moments of loneliness...even when someone is sitting right next to us. But, thank you for sharing your sweet little heart, and reminding me to be forever thankful for each and every thing I have...instead of wanting what I do not. Love you!

now, go watch The Gay Divoricee...you'll love it!