Tuesday, December 1, 2009

On a Day Like Today

I loved today.
First, today was the first day of December, my without-a-doubt favorite month of the year.  Now that the weather has gotten frigid drastically colder, it really is begining to feel a lot like Christmas!
Also, today was a huge day for me school-wise.  After getting up at 4 AM to finish one of the three huge projects I had due today (in addition to a final), I am somewhat in shock that I'm not catching some serious zzzzzzzzzzzz by now.  I think I'm just on a momentary high due to the completion of my two hardest classes for the semester.  Always love that feeling.  I'm sure I'll be sawing logs sleeping peacefully as soon as my head hits the pillow.
Today's greatness continued when I got this little gem in my inbox.  I loved every minute of this video, but the part where the girl tells about the love letters is my favorite.

PostSecret: Confessions on Life, Death and God from Frank Warren on Vimeo.
If y'all haven't jumped on the PostSecret bandwagon, I would highly recommend it.  I read the blog on Sundays, I have the books, and I get Frank Warren's emails; I think PostSecret is fabulous and unendingly fascinating.  Becca is also convinced that I send in my own secrets because I just "seem like that kind of person" (I'm not sure exactly how to take that... insult?  compliment?), but I don't know what secrets she thinks I have because I'm always spilling my guts to y'all. =)
Another reason today was great is that, after my final this afternoon and before my night class, I spent the afternoon in one of my favorite ways--curled up on the couch with a great book and a great cup of hot chocolate.  Does it really get much better?
Today did, actually, get even better.
Tonight I went to the Starkville Symphony/MSU Choir concert, which was beyond phenomenal.  For the majority of the time I felt like I was at some extravagant ball at Pemberly, hoping Mr. Darcy would come whisk me away for a waltz (that's a Pride and Prejudice reference, for those of you are not gaga crazy in love with the work of Jane Austen).  (On a sidenote:  who knew harpsichords still existed?  I thought they had gone the way of the lyre and other extinct musical instruments, but I am no longer living under such misconceptions.)  Anyway, as I said, the whole program was wonderful.  I find symphonic music so dreamy totally romantic and altogether swoon-worthy.
Anyway, speaking of great music, have y'all started listening to Christmas music?  It's practically all I listen to these days.  What are your favorites?  Here are my top 10 favorite Christmas songs of all time:
10.  It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas: Bing Crosby
9.  Christmas in Killarney:  Bing Crosby
8.  When a Child is Born:  Kenny Rogers
7.  Because It's Christmas:  Barry Manilow
6.  Hanukkah Song:  Adam Sandler
5.  Kentucky Homemade Christmas:  Kenny Rogers
4.  All I Want for Christmas is You:  Mariah Carey
3.  Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas:  Judy Garland
2.  Song for a Winter's Night:  Sarah MacLachlan
1.  I'll Be Home for Christmas:  Josh Groban (complete with the voiceovers from soldiers currently serving overseas; I've heard this song about 59 times, and I cry every time)
********I have to give special recognition to the entire Hanson (yeah, like as in "Mmmmmmbop") Christmas CD, Snowed In, which is without a doubt my favorite Christmas album of all time.  Don't hate; it's awesome.
********I also have to clarify that I really do have good taste in music, but I blame my mother for my undying love for the dorkiest Christmas music on the planet.  Y'all know Christmas music is hokey by its very nature; don't act like you don't love Bing Crosby.
Oh, yeah, and there's one other song I'm really loving this holiday season.  It's pretty new, so you may not have heard it yet.  It goes something like this...

Cowbells ring, are you listening?
Down the field, Dixon sprinting...
A beautiful sight, Rebs crying tonight,
Walking with the trophy in our hands.
Ran away with the Egg Bowl,
Don't feel bad for the Rebs soul,
A beautiful sight, when the dawgs bite,
Walking with the trophy in our hands.
Pretty catchy, huh? =)
How. bout. them. dogs??  Am I right??
I'm still loving the sheer butt-whipping awesomeness that was the Egg Bowl 2009.  
So. much. fun.
Anyway, hope you all had a great day, too!  Happy December!!  

4 comments:

Rachel Buckley said...

I adore you...and I wish you would write more.


ps-- little fun fact about me: I was the only 6th grade band member who could answer a musical trivia question about Bing Crosby. And this, my friend, is why we should hang out more.

Courtney McShan said...

now all you need is lemon-line gatorade, peanut m&m's, and holiday inn on the phi mu couch... and me of course!

Catherine Thoms said...

i LOVE your #2 top Christmas song!!!!!!!!!!! its definitely one of my faves!!! sorry i didn't get to see you over thanksgiving...we will have to try and get together at christmas...i hope to have a lot more jewelry made be then too! :)

Day said...

I hate that the winter wonderland Christmas song was ruined with those terrible lyrics. I heard some new song lyrics for another Christmas song about Ole Miss's bowl game, so maybe I'll put them on my blog. :D

but I know you were happy last weekend.. if it was misery for me!

at least bama is rocking this weekend. miss you! your birthday is so soon!!