Thursday, November 26, 2009

Give Thanks

26 Things I'm Thankful for This November 26
(In no particular order)

1.  Soft t-shirts:  there's little better than coming home after a long day and feeling the instant comfort and security that comes along with these.  It's like letting out a breath I've been holding all day.  Favorites include Polo and Seaside tees.

2.  Massages:  I'm practically drooling when I leave, and my hair stands out like Medusa, but it's totally worth it.

3.  OPI nail polish:  they always have just the perfect shade, and it's always named something so perfect that I know I have to have it.

4.  Friends:  I have a theory that any situation in life can be referenced back to a Friends episode.  Try it; I swear by it.

5.  Movie quotes:  as I've said before, without movie quotes, my conversation would be cut by about 75%, I think, and, let's be honest, they're just funny.

6.  Flowers:  they're pretty; they smell good; and they make people smile.

7.  Walks down memory lane (and the peope who'll walk beside me):  sometimes there is nothing better than reveling in past idiocies and reliving past lives. 

8.  Cancelled classes:  enough said.

9.  Books:  meeting new people on every page, learning about foreign worlds, both real and imagined, and watching pictures come to life in your mind.  Plus, books smell good and sometimes have really cool histories, too.

10.  Sunsets:  God's presence often manifests itself in my life in the beauty of a sunset.  

11.  Lazy days:  a day with nothing on the docket is a rare treasure these days and one that should be cherished.  If only I had known in college how precious all those wasted lazy days would one day be...

12.  Family:  how could I not be thankful for the people who have been there since day one and will be there no matter what?

13.  Friends:  your friends may be awesome, I'll give you that, but my friends are so much more than I ever fathomed and so much more than I will ever deserve.  I thank God everyday for giving them to me.

14.  The perfect messy ponytail:  this hairstyle often elludes me, but, when I twist it just right, I have to admit, it makes me feel pretty cool (even though I'm hugely aware that it probably looks like just another rat's nest to other people...)

15.  Sharpie pens:  they really don't bleed through the paper!!  And they don't smear... and they have a really narrow point... 

16.  XM radio:  every once in a while, a song will come out of nowhere that I used to love but haven't heard in ages.  Also, I stay informed of new music, and they started playing Christmas music on November 18.

17.  Laughter:  obviously, if you know me at all, you know I love to laugh.  I also love to make people laugh, talk about things that make people laugh, laugh with other people, hear funny laughs, laugh at funny laughs and take laughing pictures.

18.  Movies:  who doesn't love the movies?? (besides you, KA...)  Seriously, though, movies are awesome, and, without movies, there'd be no movie quotes.  Duh.

19.  The perfect devotion:  I am so thankful when God gives me the exact words I need to hear in that exact minute.  My devotions are always wonderful, and my time with God is always stellar, but sometimes He just really hits a grand slam, and I am awed all over again.

20.  Facebook wall-to-wall:  these convos are funny... and often informative, too.  I don't know where the pre-2007 wall-to-wall went though, and I wish Mark Zuckerberg would find a way to bring back the things I said in 2006, as I'm sure they were hilarious.  [Insert sarcasm here.]    

21.  Silent setting on my cell phone:  sometimes I like to totally detach and curl up into my own world, and at those times I am thankful for silencio.

22.  Learning:  I am thankful I'm a dork.  No, seriously.  I like learning about new things and new people and new places and on and on and on.  I really do.  Seriously.  

23.  Still being able to go to school after losing my job:  (did I tell y'all I lost my job last Thursday?)  anyway, thankfully, I have some money saved so I will be able to keep going to school without working next semester if I can't find another job.  

24.  Nicknames:  y'all know you love nicknames, too.  They're immediately familiar, and I always think they're immediately friendly and fun.  Even when you're given a nickname you hate (like my elementary school nickname that refuses to die), you can't totally hate it because it's a term of endearment.  Also, they make it much easier to talk in code.

25.  Cardigans:  dress 'em up, dress 'em down.  You can truly take them anywhere, and, believe me, I do.  My wardrobe would be scant without them.

26.  Pajamas:  good, soft, comfortable pajamas are like a good book-- a safe, wonderful, cozy place to end the day.  Even the worst of days can end on a good note when you put on your favorite pajamas and crawl into bed.  Hmmm... that's actually sounding pretty tempting right about now...

What are y'all thankful for this Thanksgiving?
I'm thankful for you.  That's right... you.  Each of you.
I hope you've all had a wonderful holiday.
Love y'all.
      

No comments: