Monday, October 13, 2008

Art History







I have some very talented friends.
Take my friend Frances (who I've known since practically the beginning of time), for example. She has always been really, really artistic (and insanely talented), but she's recently gotten into photography. If you ask me, she has found her forte; her pictures are so, so cool. I know that's really not the most articulate way of describing them, but that's usually what I say to myself when I look at her newest photos.
"Wow. How cool is that?"
Sometimes I even say it out loud, which is kind of awkward when I'm at work...
She can take the most random inanimate objects, things we walk by every day like grocery carts or old discarded office chairs or signs on the side of buildings or racks of clothes, and make them look like something really unique and unusual. She can do the coolest things with perspective and focus, and she makes really cool usage of natural light.
(I like to fancy myself as somewhat of a novice photographer, even though I lack the proper equipment and, quite frankly, any extensive knowledge whatsoever about the art form.)
I may not know all of the proper terminology, but I know a cool picture when I see one. Frances can always find some cool new way to bring to light something I've probably passed blindly by eight-hundred times in my life.

I know there's beauty in a da Vinci and fascination in a Mirot, but I think I prefer Frances' brand of art.
The art of the everyday.













No comments: