Saturday, April 25, 2009

This Boy

So, I just got back from a double feature afternoon. If you're a frequent blog reader, you may already know about that being one of my most favorite things to do. If not, well, I guess I'm telling you for the first time: that is one of my most favorite things to do.
I went to see 17 Again (which was pretty good) and State of Play (which was, like, fuhgeddaboudit good). You can check out my reviews of both movies on my movie blog if you're interested.
Anyway, while I was watching 17 Again, all I kept thinking was "How did the world survive before Zac Efron came onto the scene?"
Flash back. Can you remember a time before High School Musical and Troy, the most popular kid in school who is good at absolutely everything, was everywhere? I honestly can't.
Think about it. This kid is the very definition of "it-boy." Seriously, he's everywhere. I cannot remember the last time I read a magazine, turned on the television, or went to a movie without seeing this kid's mug grinning out at me from behind his 'I-work-really-hard-to-look-this-laid-back' locks, the perfect complement to his 'I-spent-two-hours-to-look-like-I-just-rolled-out-of-bed-and-threw-something-on' outfits. Come on, dude, you're not fooling anyone.
And of course he's a Mr. Nice Guy on top of all that.
Blah blah blah.
If you're thinking to yourself "Me thinks the lady doth protest too much" you're...
absolutely correct.
I'm a total poser. I love him. I think he's gorgeous. I have a major jonesing for those piercing baby blues. I think he can take a white tee and aviators to new levels. I think he's a fuzzy little man-peach. I am a first class ticket holder on the Efron Express.
Choo choo, indeed.
I think it really got serious when I saw him in Hairspray, but I imagine its been clandestinely building all along. Even though sometimes he's so cheesy I want to turn my face away, I can't make myself do it. I'm always drawn back like a magnet. I'm not so much a fan of the singing, but he more than makes up for it with the dancing. (And there's a stellar dance sequence in 17 Again, just fyi.)
I rationalize it in my head by telling myself that he looks like a young Jared Leto, but that's just to avoid admitting that I have yet another thing in common with adolescent girls. Seriously, add this into my love for Twilight and Harry Potter, and I am well on my way to tween status, even though the only thing I'm "tween" is twenty and thirty.
So, tell me I'm not the only system he's infiltrated. Tell me, are there others...??

1 comment:

Rachel Buckley said...

nope! although I too loved him in hairspray, I still don't get what all of the fuss is about! But, you, my dear, have enlightened me...slightly. Love you, Spring!