Sunday, April 5, 2009

An Affirmation

So, as rough as this week started out, it ended with more beauty, fun, and love than I could have ever imagined. Thanks so much for all of your prayers and kind words about my car situation; I really felt each and every one of them, and I am so blessed to have such caring people in my life. There's an update coming on the car later in this post, but first things first.
Like I said, last week started out so roughly, and the first couple of days seemed to have that "when it rains it pours" theme flowing abundantly throughout. It seemed that Murphy's law was in full effect, for anything that could go wrong was definitely going wrong. However, just when I thought I had reached my breaking point, God reminded me of the wonderful things and people in my life, and the suddenly things didn't seem so bad.
As I look back over this week, I am reminded once again (for what seems to be the gazillionth time) of how many amazing people are present in my life. It seemed like everywhere I turned, there was a reminder of someone's care and support, and affirmations of friendship and love abounded. Many small, unexpected happenings came together to make a warm quilt in which I could wrap up and take comfort.
As I said, there were many unexpected reminders of how blessed I am this week, so many in fact that I truly cannot remember all of them. A few that come to mind right off the top of my head are Amanda unexpectedly coming into town, going out for Celia's birthday dinner, Wex's sweet text and Bible verse, bumping into Hope at the grocery story, lunch with Bailey and Sage, Day's long email from Germany, and the makings of an incredible beach trip this summer. I repeat, there were so many, many more, and I know I'm leaving some of you out. I'm sorry!! Know that I love and appreciate each one of you so much, and you all make my life so special.
As promised, I have an update on the TransMission 2009. It seems that I somehow drove the second and fifth gears right out of my car. Seeing as I am far from an automotive genius, I'm not really sure how that could happen, but I'm just glad there is only a partial replacement needed and not an overhaul of the entire system (as is my wallet). My car has been in the shop since Thursday, and, in the meantime, I've been cruising in this sweet ride:
I know, I know... you're green with envy. I've gotten that reaction a lot over the past four days. My car is supposed to be fixed late tomorrow afternoon, and I'm already anticipating the angiush I will experience when I have to surrender this soccer team on wheels. Perhaps I could work out some sort of barter system, and the Windstar could be mine forever...
Total sarcasm, obviously, although driving this monstrosity (no offense to minivan lovers/drivers everywhere, I'm just partial to my gaz-guzzling SUV) has certainly been a much-needed ends to a mean, and for that I am thankful (although I wouldn't have objected to a loaner with a CD player...).
So, all in all, it's been another great week, and I'm looking forward to a short week this week and a visit home for Easter weekend. Oh, and if anyone is looking for a great read, I just finished the most delicious story. It's called Water for Elephants; it's set in the circus world of Depression-era America; I couldn't put it down. Check out my book blog if I've piqued your curiosity at all...
If not, well, that's okay, too.
I'll leave you with a few pics from an unexpectedly amazing weekend.

6 comments:

Courtney McShan said...

I just love you! I am glad that your week is getting better. And I am secretly jealous that I cant be there to pimp that Windstar with you. One question though...Does it have seat warmers? :)

Rachel Buckley said...

yay!

ps-you look pretty amazing in those pics--can we say: gorgeous??

Unknown said...

I totally didn't get Water for Elephants. Since you are an English girl, maybe you can explain its literary significance to me.

Rebecca McKissack said...

lauren!! that pimp my ride van is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!! no wonder you waited to tell me. i almost choked on this detox drink im guzzling at the moment... glad its a better week. im hoping for a better attitude this week....

Day said...

I'm glad God lets my procrastination turn into his perfect timing :) know i love and miss you over here!

Unknown said...

That van is A-bysmal...suicidal inducing at the least. I would die if I saw you driving it...miss you ASH!!!!