Monday, March 30, 2009

Daddy's Girl

So, it looks as though my car will soon be undergoing some pseudo-intense work, as all signs seem to point toward a (yikes) new transmission. From what I hear, this is the proverbial death sentence for car, but my mom thinks I should wait until I have a solid income to take on the mammoth responsibility of a car payment. I've been secretly praying for my car to somehow fix itself, but, as that doesn't seem likely to happen, I'm praying that I will somehow come up with the money to do the necessary repairs and also that my transmission won't fall out on the highway.
Over the past two weeks, I've spent more time than I wish to contemplate in various garages and automotive warehouses. I've surrendered my keys more times than I can count, and I've shaken many a grease-stained hand. Throughout this whole process, one thought keeps creeping into my head.
I miss my dad.
Of course, not a day goes by that I don't think about him or have his memory triggered by some inconsequential word or happening. During these last few weeks, however, his absence has just been so marked and so noticeable, for the automotive world was something with which he was so skilled and so comfortable. I know if he was here he would have fixed my car or quickly taken the appropriate steps to make sure it was safe and secure, and I could have trusted that he would make sure I was taken care of.
Instead, I'm in way over my head, and I'm getting different information from every source. This is not the first time (and I can guarantee it won't be the last) that I have wished he was here to tell me what to do, to point me in the right direction.
Sometimes I can't believe that I haven't heard his voice in over fourteen years because it feels like yesterday that I was sitting beside him on the couch, playing with his moustache. It seems odd that I'm wishing he was here to help me with a problem with my car when he never even saw me drive a car. Ironic, yes?
I guess I just wish he was here to help me with all the little things, for that would mean he was here for all the big things, too. I've learned to deal with how much I miss him on the big days, but it's the unexpected instances that creep up out of nowhere that are the hardest to sustain. On days like today, when I stare into the void and realize all over again that he's not coming back, it hits me so hard it almost knocks the wind out of me. I don't think that feeling will ever go away, and I don't think it will ever get any easier.
I love you, Dad, and I miss you so much.

5 comments:

Rachel Buckley said...

I don't know what to say...I'm totally crying--I had no idea you lost your daddy. It just furthers the point of what a strong little lady you are!

thanks for the good cry! and if I could, I'd go with you to all of those nasty repair shops...or buy you a brand new car! Sadly, you'll have to settle for a prayer instead.

Petie said...

Oh my Spring,
I have no words for you today, but you are in my prayers. I know he smiling down on you from Heaven thinking what an amazing woman my little girl has become.

I also wish I could fix or get you a new car.. but I do know a guy that we have gone to who also helped my sister when she was here. So.. he is a reliable and honest man.. kinda funny too. His name is Mickey and he works at the place off of industrial road. Tell him you know JD.. he will get at kick out of that.

Ps.. I sometimes get nervous writing.. knowing you are a literary genius..please forgive me.

Also.. Love, miss, and in my prayers Spring!

Anonymous said...

Well... that was me that actually posted.. not JD. I hope that got you a good giggle.. so typical of me.

Rebecca McKissack said...

lauren :( i just had to dry tears... im sorry.... i wish i could buy you a car (hell, i wish i could pay off a credit card bill!) and i wish the world was perfect.... one day, it all will be! love you lauren (i accidentally just typed in spring...as in springer.... i had to quickly erase that bc i have NEVER called you springer.you will forever be laurenspringer

Day said...

I love you Laur.