Sunday, March 1, 2009

Virtual Insanity

I feel sorry for people who have to be around my high school friends and I when we get together. I mean, we are seriously crazy.
Last night we had Bailey and Sage's Stock-the-Bar party in Columbus, and we acted like the biggest morons. Somehow we ended up with our yearbook from senior year of high school out, and we were going through it looking up underclassmen we used to have these crazy nicknames for. I told you: we're crazy.
We really did have the greatest time, though. I don't think I have laughed as hard as I did last night in a really long time. I know Sage's brother and cousin thought we were absolutely nuts; let's be honest, I'm sure they're not the first or the last "outsiders" we'll manage to creep out with our neverending "Do y'all remember"'s and our pointless inside jokes.
This morning I woke up to a sort of winter wonderland outside my window, which is something we don't see too often in the Golden Triangle. For some reason, it seems we are almost always in this pocket (I like to refer to it as "The Dead Zone") that never gets any snow or ice. We're always either too far north or too far south; either way it always misses us. Not this time, though. I awoke at 6:30 this morning to see a blanket of white outside my window and a steady snowfall. I stared out the window for a minute, thought about grabbing my camera and going outside, realized I hadn't brought home the sufficient clothing for frolicking in the snow, and lackadaisically laid back down and pulled the covers over my head.
It's possible I have become disillusioned; I hope not.
Anyway, by the time I woke up again at about 10:00, the snow had stopped falling, the sun was blinding, and the melting process had already begun. I did manage to get one pretty good picture; it's on my photography blog, if you're interested. By the time I got back to Starkville this afternoon, all that was left of the wonderland were a few patchy remnants tucked into the shadows.
Alas, that didn't stop my mother from nagging me about calling the Highway Patrol just to "make sure" the roads between Columbus and Starkville were safe and ice-free...
Nice life.

No comments: