Monday, March 9, 2009

Raise Your Sleepy Head

There's a lot I don't know, but I can tell you one thing for sure. Positively 2009 is making for some stellar weekends. Chalk the first weekend of March up as another great one.
It all started Friday when I headed to Memphis for a school assignment. By 9:30 that morning I was ready to go to bed (if you're perplexed as to why, see my previous post), but I managed to stay on track and stay awake. I really do love a solitary road trip, as I can listen to whatever I want to on the radio (ahem... showtunes) and sing as loud and as off-key as my heart desires. Also, road trippin' all by my lonesome gives me plenty of time to contemplate my life, which I never seem to get enough of.
I went to a great art exhibit in Memphis (an activity which I have recently discovered I highly enjoy) and headed back home. I was stopping briefly in Tupelo when I got a phone call from Amanda saying she was unexpectedly on her way to Starkville for the weekend. What a great surprise! Even though I was dog tired and about ready to throw in the towel, I knew I would have to pull myself together for a fun night out. I stopped in Columbus to have dinner with my mom then headed back to Starkville. I met up with Amanda, Alex, Josh, and Patrick, and we had a few margs at the mexican restaurant before heading downtown to Barrister's. It was kind of a random night downtown, so we called it a night relatively early.
Saturday I laid on my couch for the majority of the day watching a Harry Potter marathon that was on ABC Family. (Harry Potter is one of my many guilty pleasures, and I could watch those movies on repeat.) Katie arrived in town early afternoon, and we got dolled up for Megan and Brandon's engagement party in West Point. I was so excited to get to see and spend time with her; I can't believe I hadn't seen her since football season!
Anyway, the engagement party was so great. There was such a solid crew there, and everybody had such a great time. I know the road to this wedding is going to be so much fun. I mean, think about who is involved; how could it not be?! After the wedding we came back to Starkville and headed up to Mugshots, where Amanda and I kicked off the night by doing a Will & Grace/Friends megamix of impressions. We really do get carried away when we're together. I had so much fun at the bar Saturday, and it was almost like the calendar had gone back two years and I was a senior all over again. Almost, but not quite. In a way, it was almost... better.
Sunday morning I woke up bright and super early (and it felt even earlier since I had to set my clock ahead an hour) to head back to Memphis to meet Becca for Legally Blonde: The Musical. Y'all know how much I've missed Becca since she made the move to Jackson, so I was super excited to get to spend the afternoon. We had a great brunch downtown and had one of our great talks. In fact, we got to ranting, raving, and swinging our hands about so much (Becca literally hit a waiter) that we almost missed the show. If you know Becca and I, I'm sure you're not surprised; it's rather typical, I say.
Let me take a moment and talk about my deep-seated adoration for musical theater. I think I was destined to love musicals, as that is practically all my mother would ever let me rent at Blockbuster as a child. Seriously, other kids were watching Goonies while I was camped out in front of the television singing along with Newsies or Oliver! Though I grumbled about it then, my distate quickly faded, and now I will give practically any musical a chance. I've seen Peter Pan, My Fair Lady, Annie, The Kind and I, The Lion King, 42nd Street, The Phantom of the Opera (twice), Movin' Out, Sweet Charity, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, Wicked, Rent, Jersey Boys, Cats, and now Legally Blonde. It would be impossible for me to say which one was my favorite, as so many of them were absolutely amazing. I can tell you, however, that apparently I don't much care for shows about animals. I despised Cats (I think you need subtitles to understand it), and I think I'm the only person in the world who didn't like The Lion King. For whatever reason, the animals just don't do it for me.
But, I digress. Legally Blonde was every bit as amazing as I knew it would be, and Becca and I laughed our way through all two-and-a-half hours of it. In fact, Becca said to me during intermission, "I don't want it to end. I want it to go on forever." My sentiments exactly, Bec. I was sad to part ways from Becca (and even sadder when I got back to my apartment and had to hit the books for a midterm I had today), but this was the greatest weekend. I look back over the weekend with happy exhaustion and a smile on my face.

2 comments:

Rebecca McKissack said...

awww! i had so much fun and i almost forgot that in my rant i hit the waiter!!!! do you remember jelly gut? and the guy that was shaking his head and the "lawyers" that had the girls hanging on them. gah i loved the play! and of course our wonderful convos where if we just had a microphone we could have solved the problems of the world :)

Anonymous said...

What a fun weekend! You know that I am more than jealous that you saw the Legally Blonde musical!! You know how obsessed I am with anything to do with Reese.. jealous, envious, jealous, envious..on and on. Next time I am coming with or without your invite =) ps.. lets city bagel soon..text me.. i broke my phone and don't have your number anymore =(
so is it a date? thats what i thought, see you soon!