Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Family Matters

I miss my family.
This thought popped into my head yesterday morning when, for some unexpected and random reason I was ready for work a whopping 20 minutes early. (Usually I am running out the door at least 5 minutes past the "at the very latest" time I've set for myself...) I was laying on my bed, listening to music, and it hit me.
I miss my family.
Lots.
From May of 2007 until this August, I was virtually free of responsibility and wasn't really tied down to a whole lot. I was never buried under the mounds of homework that so frequently suffocate me now; I was never running from one group meeting to another, squeezing a few hours of work in between there somewhere; I was almost always available to take phone calls and return texts and visit people on a moment's notice.
Now, however, my life is just about full to capacity, and my schedule is like its own little rubik's cube--there's only one way that everything everything fits, try turning the pieces another way and you'll just end up with a big, confusing mess. I've been able to fit my friends into this pretty well, for so many of them are battling their own hectic schedules, but my family presents a bit more of a challenge. When I'm awake studying at 2:00 in the morning, they're undoubtedly (and enviably) asleep; when they can talk at 3:00 in the afternoon, I'm in class; when I get out of class at 9:00 PM, they're putting kids to bed or preparing for bed themselves.
Some days it seems like I'll never hear their voices again.
I know people say this all the time, but my family means the absolute world to me. We're a pretty small group, we've been through some tough times together, and we're pretty close. So many of my "-isms" and my special memories are wrapped up in them.
I guess tonight I just want to say that, if any of you are reading this, I love you and miss you very much. There are a multitude of reasons that I'm glad the holidays are fast-approaching, but the greatest of those by far is that it brings me closer to a time I know we'll all be together. Sometimes, when I don't think I can read one more theory or write one more assessment observation, I think about seeing all of you very soon, and that makes my work seem manageable.
My goodness... am I a total cheeseball tonight, or what?

1 comment:

Lindsey and Jason Nicholson said...

oh my gosh-I cried a little bit reading this! I love you Lou!!