Monday, September 1, 2008

Something Weird

Weird.
That's the only word I can come up with to describe my life right now. I know it's vague and totally inarticulate, but it's the only thing that seems to make sense at this moment.
I feel almost like I'm caught between the past and the future, which makes the present a little... awkward, to be honest. Sometimes I feel like I'm in completely new territory, forging a path that is all my own, and other times I feel like I'm going around in circles making the same mistakes I've been making for years. I must admit, it's a little unsettling at times.
Wait... I just thought of another appropriate word.
Surreal.
That one's even better, I think.
These bizarre things keep happening that are almost like the colliding of two worlds, the coming-together of two planes that I could never have imagined intersecting. It's a little touch of deja vu, but that doesn't really begin to cover it... it's just strange.
I know what you're thinking, and you're right.
I'm not making a bit of sense.
Therefore, I will transition.
In a much-needed salute to familiarity and normalcy, I just finished watching one of my all-time favorite movies, Bridget Jones's Diary. No matter how many times I see it, it's still just as funny as the first time. Perhaps I love it so unbelievably much because I can identify with a number of the scrapes Bridget finds herself in? As I watched the movie, reciting every line along with the actors, of course, (that's one of the perks of living alone, you know... no one's there to make you stop) and drank a glass of wine, I fancied myself to be a modern-day Bridget. Except for that whole smoking thing. And the fact that I'm about ten years younger than her. Oh yeah, and the fact that I'm not British...
Here's a few of my favorite quotes, just for your own comic relief:
"My mum, a strange creature from the time when pickles on toothpicks were still the height of sophistication."
"Perpetua, slightly senior and therefore thinks she's in charge of me. Most of the time, I just want to staple things to her head."
"If staying here means working within ten yards of you, frankly, I'd rather have a job wiping Sadam Hussein's arse."
"You'll never get a boyfriend if you look like you wandered out of Auschwitz."
I'm laughing even now as I type them. Now, if I could just find where I misplaced my Mark Darcy...

No comments: