Monday, December 1, 2008

The Favorite

I love Christmas.
Period.
I don't know if it's the December birthday thing or what, but I just love it.
Seriously.
I started listening to Christmas music and watched my first Christmas movie of the season the night before Halloween. I had my apartment and my mom's house decorated by November 15. I'm burning my way through my third "Smell of Christmas" candle. I'm telling you, I love it.
As much as I love the music and the lights and the smells and the excitement, the thing I probably love most is the movies. I'm a movie lover in general, but there's just something special about a Christmas movie.
So, tonight I thought I would share my favorite Christmas movies and a few favorite quotes (because y'all know there's few things I love more than a good movie quote). These are in no particularly order because, let's be honest, I love them all.

CHRISTMAS VACATION
"Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"
"Get off me, you fungus."
"Worse? How could things get any worse? Take a look around here, Ellen. We're at the threshold of hell."











THE HOLIDAY



"Iris, in the movies we have leading ladies and we have the best friend. You, I can tell, are a leading lady, but for some reason you are behaving like the best friend."




MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET





THE SANTA CLAUSE







THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS




THE POLAR EXPRESS




"But you don't want to be bamboozled. You don't want to be led down the primrose path. You don't want to be conned or duped. Hoodwinked. You don't want the wool pulled over your eyes. Railroaded. Seeing is believing. Am I right?"
"At one time most of my friends could hear the bell, but as years passed it fell silient for all of them. Even Sarah found one Christmas that she could no longer hear its sweet sound. Though I've grown old the bell still rings for me, as it does for all who truly believe."

ELF
"Don't listen to Leon. Leon's never been anywhere. He doesn't have any feet."
"It's just like Santa's workshop. Except it smells like mushrooms, and everyone looks like they want to hurt me..."
"Do you have any friends? Do you have a best friend? Does he have a big coat, too?"

WHITE CHRISTMAS





CHRISTMAS IN CONNECTICUT




HOLIDAY INN





IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE






LOVE ACTUALLY
"I love that word 'relationship.' Covers all manner of sins, doesn't it? I fear that this has become a bad relationship. A relationship based on the President taking exactly what he wants and casually ignoring all those things that really matter to, erm... Britain. We may be a small country, but we're a great one, too. The country of Shakespeare, Churchill, the Beatles, Sean Connery, Harry Potter. David Beckham's right foot. David Beckhams' left foot, come to that."
"We need Kate. And we need Leo. And we need them now. Come on."
"Now which doll shall we give Daisy's little friend Emily? The one that looks like a transvestite or the one that looks like a dominatrix?"

HOME ALONE 2
"You can't be too careful when it involves underwear."
"My grandfather says if my head wasn't screwed on, I'd leave it on the school bus."

HOME ALONE


"This house is so full of people it makes me sick."
"If it makes you feel any better, I forgot my reading glasses..."
"The dope was whining about a suitcase. What was I s'posed to do? Shake his hand and say, 'Congratulations, you're an idiot'?"
"Bring me back something French!"

So, there you have it: the movies that make my holiday complete. Did I leave off any of your favorites??

3 comments:

Rebecca McKissack said...

geez you have seen a ton o christmas movies! i think im doing good to watch elf....which i love by the way. my favorite quote from that is "SANTA?!? I KNOW HIM!!!!"

i cant wait for the new orleans post. if only you had this thing up and running during our anniversary trip last year....NYC. this is all the more pressure to try and top it....if thats even possible without killing ourselves.

Haley said...

A lot of those are my faves too. I've already watched elf twice, and Christmas vacation is next! My address is 7039 Egyptian Drive, Fort Collins, CO 80525. I'm totally with you with the Christmas spirit, it's totally snowing here today too while I sit at my desk at work :)

Courtney said...

spring, i was scrolling down and i was getting mad bc i hadnt seen holiday inn on your list and then i got to it and smiled really big!!! i wish we were on the couch in the PM living room with blankets, yellow gatorade, and peanut m&m's watching it... miss you!