Wednesday, December 24, 2008

'Twas the Night Before Christmas

Yesterday I was chewed out by an elderly man in the Wal-Mart parking lot.
Most of you know of my hatred for Wal-Mart, so when my mom told me she needed me to "run up" there for her, I was certainly not looking forward to the trip. I knew I would have to park across the highway and there would one million people inside, knocking each other down for the last Wii or some such holiday item.
Therefore, when I got there and headed up the aisle to search for the ever-evasive parking spot, I was elated to see a woman packing her groceries into the third parking spot from the front. The third spot! I pulled over as far as I could, put on my blinker, and settled in to wait for my spot.
As I watched this woman load her purchases into her car, I wondered if she could possibly do it any slower. Apparently everything had a certain spot into which it must be loaded, for she had some things she placed in the trunk of her car and others that went inside. While I was waiting for her to complete the slowest loading process of all time, a few cars went around me and, admittedly, there were a couple of cars in line behind me.
All of a sudden this man was standing beside my car, motioning for me to roll down the window. I guess thought perhaps I knew him or he was hoping to spread a little Christmas cheer, so I rolled down the window. Christmas cheer was not what he was spreading, however. He proceeded to tel me (in not the kindest of language) how I was blocking traffic and that if I wanted this parking spot I needed to go around the lot again and come back and get it.
Yeah, right; I'm sure it would just be sitting there waiting for me, sir.
I told him I was sorry, and he responded with, "Ain't no sorry."
I'm not sure exactly what that meant, but I knew one thing for sure: i wasn't giving up that parking spot, not for him or anyone else.
Therefore, I summoned up all my gumption and said, "Sir, it is December the twenty-third, and this is Wal-Mart. What exactly did you expect?" I then proceeded to roll my window up in his face.
My mom said I was lucky he didn't hit me or worse.
I thought that's about how all of yesterday was going to go, but it got markedly better when I went to a Christmas party full of old friends last night. Mary Katherine and Florence combined their class Christmas parties into one party this year, and it was so much fun. Caught up with some friends I don't get to hang out with that often, hung out with some of my favorite people, and enjoyed a true dose of Christmas cheer.
As we speak, I'm supposed to be packing to leave for my family's Christmas extravaganza, but I'm obviously prioritizing. First things first, you know. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, and Santa brings you everything you're hoping for!
"Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night."

No comments: