Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Pajama Game

Tonight I am thankful for warm pajamas and a messy ponytail.  Somewhat similar to the way I feel about soup (see yesterday's post), pajamas make me feel safe and loved and comfortable, and at the end of some days that's what I so desperately need.  (Note:  I know I'm always saying how much I need comfort and warmth and relaxation at the end of every day, and I'm sure y'all may think I'm at the very least incredibly needy and at most certifiably insane.  I'm really not either of those (I don't think...), but some days my job just leaves me ravaged and raw, and I look to my surroundings for comfort and love.  As a counselor, it's party of the job description that people are projecting their issues onto me; as they talk through their problems and get things off their chests, they often spew all over me, and I have to sort through their stuff (as well as my own issues) for myself.  ...And now I'm blabbering senselessly... maybe I am insane...?)  
Anyway, pajamas.
There is something wholly refreshing and energizing about coming home from work, putting on comfortable pajamas or loungewear, twisting my hair around my head, and finally taking a deep breath.  It makes me feel good, and it helps me to keep things in perspective.  And quite frankly, by the time I get home and finally sit down for a minute,  I'm often exhausted to my very core and frequently debate the idea of going to bed around 8 o'clock.  I don't usually do it, but some days it sure is tempting.

2 comments:

Jamie Harris said...

I remember when I could always just walk across the hall to your room for a counseling session or to laugh until I almost peed myself. I'm thankful for that. Oh yeah, I also remember when I thought you were from the Palmer Home. :)

Jamie Harris said...

P.S. I'm also stealing your thankfulness idea!