Monday, November 15, 2010

The Same but Different

Today I am thankful for the ability to look at things from a different perspective.  I'm pretty sure y'all know I sometimes take a ride on the negative side of the emotional rollercoaster.  I get mad, lonely, sad, pissed off, furious, exasperated, confused, hurt, defeated, disgusted, frustrated, anxious, afraid, disappointed, irritated, envious, worrisome, guilty, doubtful, tense, and just plain unhappy sometimes.  I think we all do, don't you?  And, quite frankly, I think that's perfect fine as long as a) we're aware that we feel that way (and at least partially willing to explore why we feel that way) and b) those feelings are temporary.  As I mentioned the other day, I haven't felt up to par lately, and today, more than anything, I wanted to stay curled up in bed and snooze the day away.  Miserable as it was, though, I pushed through and went to work.  The day was rainy and cold, and, honestly, I spent the large majority of the time I was at work wishing I had stayed in bed.  When I left school, though, I found something I'd been looking for for about two weeks now... the Christmas music station on XM Radio.  I know it sounds silly and trivial, but it turned my whole day around.  I started to perk up and feel a little better, and would you believe that the sun actually peeked through the clouds a little bit?  That little blessing in my life just served to remind me of how things can look completely different when you change your vantage point and allow yourself to see things differently.  I had made up my mind that today was a down day, but God opened my eyes and showed me, once again, how things can turn around in an instant if I just change my perspective.

1 comment:

Banu said...

Spring, I had many words. But decided to tell a few. You said negative emotions are temporary. Actually, (all) emotions are temporary, be it negative or positive, in that sense. Winning is good, but fighting for a win is more important (even if you lose). Surviving a lifetime without losing the fighting-spirit is all that counts. Emotions will pass. Nobody will remember you after a certain (that varies) period of time. Propagation of life is the most important thing for each one of us. Anyway, I should stop now.